Disbelief settles in after shootout – news – panama city news herald – panama city, fl mouth sores on roof of mouth

PANAMA CITY — Salvaging belongings from the apartment where her son was found dead at the end of a shootout with law enforcement, Joan Lindmeier occasionally cupped her hand to her mouth Wednesday and coughed from the gas fumes still billowing out the front door.

Lindmeier had been one of the many residents of Briarwood Apartments, 2203 Beck Ave., terrified and stuck inside the complex the day before when a standoff escalated to gunfire. She had tried at one point to see which apartment was the focus of attention for the amassing law enforcement presence but was ordered to remain indoors. As sporadic gunfire rang out through the neighborhood, Lindmeier received a phone call from a friend saying the exchange involved an apartment she knew well — it belonged to her son, Kevin Robert Holroyd.

“He was making plans for his children this summer — his sons were coming to visit and he wanted to buy a couple bicycles,” Lindmeier said. “He had no plans for this. Something happened that morning. He was not that type of person. … He was not a murderer.”

Holroyd, 49, had been the prime suspect in the early Tuesday killing of 30-year-old Clinton Douglas Street. Authorities arrived at a White Heron Drive home in Walton County to find Street, who was the live-in boyfriend of Holroyd’s estranged wife, dead from multiple gunshot wounds. Authorities reported that Holroyd carried out the shooting while his estranged wife and children were not home. He then fled to his Panama City apartment, doused the inside with gasoline and barricaded himself inside.

Boyette attributed the prompt detection of the gasoline to her cat “Fetty Wap,” who began vomiting from the fumes. Once the cat began vomiting, Boyette called 911 to check on the source of the fumes. When fire crews arrived to investigate, Boyette witnessed Holroyd defiantly shout from the bedroom window for the first responders to leave moments before an officer told her it was time to leave the area.

Fred Wallace, who lives in a unit doors away, was sitting on his couch when he got a call from a friend to look out his window. Wallace saw rows of officers with guns drawn as he rushed upstairs to wake his wife, Tina Wallace. That’s when the first spate of gunfire erupted.

The Wallaces were one of a few people extracted by SWAT units during the shootout. They had gathered in the upstairs in the farthest corner from the gunfire when they got a call to prepare to flee. About eight officers came to their aid and formed a human shield to get the Wallaces out of harm’s way.

The Wallaces, like all of Holroyd’s neighbors, were baffled by what transpired. Most of the residents in the row of townhomes have lived there for more than eight years, including Holroyd, and regularly gather in front of the apartments for conversations. Holroyd was known as a man who would extend a favor and expect nothing in return.

An immediate neighbor of Holroyd, Ashley Warriner, said that she and her boyfriend had dinner with him the night before the shootout. Warriner said that only a day before that, Holroyd and one of his children were laughing and playing in the apartment parking lot.

In the parking lot where Holroyd once had played with his children, though, was a scene of destruction Wednesday after the gunfire ceased. Several cars had bullet holes and busted windows from the exchange. Some neighbors in the closer units were displaced because of the pervasive, lingering gas fumes. The door to Holroyd’s unit lay on the sidewalk mangled from being blown from its hinges by SWAT members who entered to find Holroyd bloodied and lifeless.