How soon to breed a cow back antiemetic safe during pregnancy

I was watching him Sunday night, and he gets pretty darn close! Not sure if he is fertile yet, so I went ahead and AI’d her again. If she takes, we will just DNA the calf when it is born to make sure who the daddy is. The bull calf is more than half her height, and weighs at least 750 pounds now (need to weigh him). She gave her all to him, and is slightly thin (for our cows at least!). We bought her as a yearling, and she never took to AI (we tried several times, and finally contacted the breeder who ran her with a really nice bull of theirs and she took on her first heat) so she is a spring cow that calved in fall because she got behind. The bull calf she had won our BIG district fair out here last year as a 7 month old, but we had already put an embryo in her for her 2010 calf.


She does a great job raising a calf, so I put the best in her. Anyway, our embryologist tried twice to put another embryo in her (between her being cystic), but she did not take either one. So we decided to try to AI her, still no luck. So now she is behind another season (was a fall, now a spring if we get her bred!). I am sure if she ran with a bull she would take first cycle, so I hope her son can get her next cycle if she did not get bred this cycle. I will try to get a pic of the two of them… nice pair!

We have done this for four years now, without a bull. But our herd size is small (12 breeding age cows now), and our goal is QUALITY not quantity. With that said, this cow I am talking about is the ONLY cow we have that is not had a calf every year (she is 4 years old and had two calves so far, but obviously not set up yet to have a calf next season), and in fact ALL of our cows have calved by their second birthday and every year after. We even have a four year old cow that has had 4 LIVE SUCKING calves! She obviously twinned this year But, if you watch your cows closely, you do not need a bull! I heat detect twice a day minimum (when I am teaching in Fall/Spring I can not get a noon watch twice a week because of class). I know when the cows are in heat within 4 hours usually. Out of 10 cows bred this spring, I only have two left to stick (and one maybe stuck, not due in for another week). All that without a bull. 6 stuck on their first AI date, the other 2 on their second (they were bred on their first calf heat), AND I bred them to what I hope is the bull that best compliments them and their weaknesses. With a single bull that can not be done(the genetic variability that is). Our calving window is not all over, and in fact we have 5 calves due in February and 4 due in March so far for next year, and this year we had one in January, 3 in February, 3 in March, and 2 in April, so we actually tightened up our window. We have a few fall calving cows that stuck also without a problem on first AI. Renting a bull would be a waste of our money, and narrows our genetic selection.

BUT, we now have this one really great cow that IS having a problem, thus we either ship her or bull breed her. That is why I am hoping her embryo son can tag her if not this last cycle then the next. As always, I can roll her over to fall and breed her in November for a September calf, but I lose a year on her that way. And that is NO way to make money. So we will see. I have included a pic of her taken today nursing he rMid-December bull calf

Quote from: firesweepranch on June 21, 2011, 03:38:50 PM I was watching him Sunday night, and he gets pretty darn close! Not sure if he is fertile yet, so I went ahead and AI’d her again. If she takes, we will just DNA the calf when it is born to make sure who the daddy is. The bull calf is more than half her height, and weighs at least 750 pounds now (need to weigh him). She gave her all to him, and is slightly thin (for our cows at least!). We bought her as a yearling, and she never took to AI (we tried several times, and finally contacted the breeder who ran her with a really nice bull of theirs and she took on her first heat) so she is a spring cow that calved in fall because she got behind. The bull calf she had won our BIG district fair out here last year as a 7 month old, but we had already put an embryo in her for her 2010 calf. She does a great job raising a calf, so I put the best in her. Anyway, our embryologist tried twice to put another embryo in her (between her being cystic), but she did not take either one. So we decided to try to AI her, still no luck. So now she is behind another season (was a fall, now a spring if we get her bred!). I am sure if she ran with a bull she would take first cycle, so I hope her son can get her next cycle if she did not get bred this cycle. I will try to get a pic of the two of them… nice pair!