Use of doxycycline for treatment of certain skin and mouth ailments – heesch gary v. baby mouth sores

[0003] Most often, if not always, treatments of the past have either failed to cure the disorder or only offered temporary relief followed by reoccurrence of the ailment. The skin disorders in question comprise cold sores in and out of the mouth, canker sores, cancer wounds including surgical wounds (which fail to heal due to chemotherapy and radiation therapy), other types of surgical wounds, diabetes sores, decubitus ulcers, sores, scarring and athletes foot including chronic athletes foot.

[0005] The present invention represents an efficacious solution to the above-identified problem and comprises topical use of doxycycline and/or cefaclor, earlier used internally and to treat acne, to eradicate or greatly alleviate the above-identified skin and mouth problems. BRIEF SUMMARY AND OBJECTS OF THE PRESENT INVENTION


[0006] In brief summary, the present invention solves or greatly alleviates skin and mouth ailments, not solved or significantly alleviated by past efforts, by topically treating (a) cold sores in and out of the mouth, (b) canker sores, (c) cancer wounds including but not limited to wounds such as those which fail to heal due to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, (d) surgical wounds of all types, (e) diabetes wounds, (f) decubitus ulcers (g) athletes foot including chronic athletes foot and (h) scarring with doxycycline and/or cefaclor.

[0008] Another paramount object of this invention is to provide a cure for or substantially cure skin and mouth ailments by topically treating (a) cold sores in and out of the mouth, (b) canker sores, (c) cancer wounds including but not limited to wounds such as those which fail to heal due to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, (d) surgical wounds of all types, (e) diabetes wounds, (f) decubitus ulcers (g) athletes foot including chronic athletes foot and (h) scarring with doxycycline and/or cefaclor.

[0010] The topical application of doxycycline and/or cefaclor to certain skin and mouth sores, wounds and scarred regions has surprisingly proven to be very efficacious, as explained in greater detail below. Doxycycline and cefaclor chemically identify the antibiotics of concern, which, respectfully classified as a tetracycline antibiotic and a second generation cephalosporin antibiotic. The antibiotics may be used separately or together.

[0011] It is preferred that the antibiotic be mixed in liquid, such as distilled water for ease of application. While not critical 400mg -600 mg of antibiotic may be mixed with 2.0-2.5 ounces of distilled or purified water, for ease of placement on the affected area of the skin and/or the mouth.

[0013] All persons treated for cold sores responded within twenty-four hours, with complete eradication within seventy-two hours for ninety percent (90%) of patients treated. The remaining ten percent (10%) achieved complete success within ten days.

[0017] Patients with post surgical wounds, post radiation and/or general trauma skin breaks from other causes were treated. Each experienced scabbing within eight hours, and accelerated healing within seven to fourteen days, depending on the condition.

[0021] In respect to scarring and patients with new injuries or surgery that would normally have scarring, after being treated, had little or no scarring when treated with the antibiotic. Furthermore, persons with old scar tissue from whatever cause experienced significant reduction in noticeable scar tissue within 12 months daily treatment.

[0024] All of the preceding conditions were treated with doxycycline or cefaclor mixed in a solution of distilled or purified water with 400 to 600 mg of doxycycline in 2 ounces of water. The medication was applied topically to the affected area morning, afternoon and night.

[0025] Once the doxycycline or cefaclor is mixed in water, if not used promptly, it may then be kept refrigerated to extend the life and potency of the antibiotic. Two ounces kept refrigerated has a potency life of approximately 30 to 45 days.

[0026] The invention may be embodied in other specific forms without departing from the spirit of the central characteristics thereof. The present embodiments therefore to be considered in all respects as illustrative and not restrictive, the scope of the invention being indicated by the appended claims rather than by the foregoing description, and all changes which come within the meaning and range of equivalency of the claims are therefore intended to be embraced therein.